Thursday, May 8, 2008

Birth Day! April 15th, 2008



I know, I know . . . it’s been ages since I have written! Well, baby Aedan is finally here! He was born on April 15th at 12:52pm. He weighed 8lbs 8.2oz and was 22 inches long. Everything with the delivery went VERY well and smoothly, mostly because of the fact I ended up being induced. And let me just tell you . . . since his arrival, I’ve become thoroughly sleep deprived beyond belief! But first, let me give you the play by play of delivery!

Monday, April 14th. I woke up and went through the morning routine as normal, got Tyler off to school and then headed for the shower. After getting undressed and as I was standing the bathroom preparing to get in the shower, I had some leakage of fluid. Not sure what it was, I thought possibly that my water could have broken, but I wasn’t 100 percent sure because it wasn’t anything like I was told it would be (no gush, no continuous “trickle” of fluid). So I got ready for work. When I got to work, I told my mom what happened and she encouraged me to call the Doctor, since by this point I was thinking, “random leakage” of something . . . but not my water breaking. So I called the Doctor and they gave me orders to go home and rest and to call them back later in the day to give an updated report on whether I had any more fluid leakage. To make a long story short, I ended up going into the Doctor’s office around 3:30, just to be checked out and to make sure all was well.

At the Doctor’s office, I was checked out and it was determined that my water hadn’t broken, HOWEVER when she checked my cervix it turns out I was 5-6 cm dilated and 90% effaced. The midwife I was being examined by was stunned, “You aren’t having any contractions?” “Nope,” I said, “at least not any that have become regular and consistent.” By this point I had been have random contractions for a couple of weeks or longer, but no real labor. It was starting to REALLY get on my nerves! Anyway, the midwife, became concerned. “you are so close to delivery now, that if you did go into labor, I’m not sure you would make it to the hospital, which concerns me.” Ha ha ha, I thought, just my luck. The midwife excused herself from the room and said she would be right back. After a few minutes, she came in and said, “how about we give you another option.” I was like, “yeah, sure, what?” “How would you feel about being induced?” I was like, “that is the best news I have EVER heard!” So she said, “be at the hospital at 7:00am tomorrow, they are expecting you.” So, I left the Doctor’s office happier than a pig in shit and VERY ready to have our baby!

Tuesday, April 15th. I get up early, take a shower, get my husband up, get my son Tyler up and dressed for school (His Pappy would have to be in charge of getting him on the bus). But we made sure to give him extra kisses and hugs and told him that by the time he got home from school, he would be a Big Brother! We grab my bags, the camera and jump in the car for the hospital. I was feeling a little nervous, but more relieved that in a few hours, pregnancy was going to be behind me! We (Eric, my Mom and me) get to the hospital and head to the maternity ward, where we check in and get settled into our room. We flip on the TV and I change into the dreaded and not-so-flattering hospital gown. My nurse comes in and introduces herself and she begins to get me “hooked” up to all the necessary machines. We are all so relaxed and calm, since I wasn’t in labor, there was no pressure, no pain, nothing. Eventually the midwife comes in, “So, you want your tubes tied, right.” “Ummmmmmmmm NOOOOO!” I said. “Oh, well you are Mrs. Walker right.” “Yes.” Luckily, my nurse came to the rescue, “there’s another Mrs. Walker on this floor.” “Oh, ooops, sorry,” replies the midwife, “I’ll be back shortly!” So again we wait. I discuss getting an epidural with the nurse, my concern was that an epidural would slow down progress, and since I didn’t have one the first time around (I had Tyler au-natural) I was prepared to go that way again. The nurse said, “Nah, it won’t slow anything down, if it does start to impact the progress, we’ll just up the amount of the drug we give you to induce.” So I decide to go with an epidural, I’m a little scared, since this is new territory for me, but I’m willing to do anything to make this experience pleasant!

Around 9:30, I think, the midwife comes in and breaks my water, I have a ton of fluid and it just keeps coming and coming, the midwife was impressed with how much fluid I had, especially because at one point they thought I didn’t have enough. With my water broken, I finally start to have contractions! Nothing painful, more discomforting, but totally bearable. I’m told that I’ll get the epidural shortly, now that “labor” has started. A little while later, I get the epidural. Eric takes a walk at this point (he doesn’t like needles), so it’s just me and my mom. As I sit up on the edge of the bed, I’m still gushing fluid, it’s on the floor, and just basically everywhere. It’s actually kind of humorous. My mom gives me support and lets me hold her hand, which I squeeze the shit of, and the epidural is over in a matter of minutes (and about 4 needles later, so I’m told). The medicine begins to kick in, and I start to feel the effects. A total relaxation falls over my body, and an ENORMOUS uncontrollable itch (a side effect). I begin to scratch and dig at the skin on my body, but it’s an itch you cannot scratch. Despite the constant itchy feeling, I decide I really like the epidural and exclaim how much I wish I had felt like this for the last few months, then I could have possibly gotten some sleep!

The epidural is great, I couldn’t feel any contractions, I had to be told they were happening. And so we just sat there together hanging out and watching TV. Around 12:00 the nurse checks my cervix, “almost there, you’ll have a baby 1:00.” I am beyond excited now, I can’t feel a thing, and in about an hour, I’m going to get to meet my baby! The midwife comes in and she pulls up a chair and joins in as we watch are watching the Tyra Banks Show. Finally, it’s determined that it is time for me to push. I had a little difficult with this. When I had Tyler, I had no drugs, I could feel EVERYTHING. With him, my body said “it’s time to push” and I just went with it because it was impossible not to. This time however was completely different. Since I couldn’t feel my contractions, I had no idea when to push, so the nurse had to tell me when to start and stop. I couldn’t even tell if I was pushing correctly or not, and it took me a few tries and some coaching from my nurse to get the hang of it. Once I did though, the pain started. Minor pain, when compared to having Tyler, but still enough pain to make me cry. But, with the encouragement of everyone around me, things went rather quickly. And soon there was that huge relief and release of pressure when baby Aedan made his debut!

Daddy cut the cord, Mommy cried (from relief and happiness) and then it was time to deliver the placenta and finally put me back together! The little guy did some damage as he was coming down the birth canal. He decided to descend with his fist under his chin. So, I ended up with quite a few stitches. After all was said and done, we started the round of calls and texts to friends and family. Big Brother Tyler came to visit us in the hospital and was very excited to meet his new little brother! We had a few other visitors that day, but by evening, things had gotten quiet. I sent Tyler and Eric home to get rest and Aedan and I settled in for our first night together!

No comments: